Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Sense and Sensibility"(1995) - (lazy)REVIEW


Part of me can't stand Jane Austen, while the other half of me loves her. I can't stand her because her stories always concern the very upper crust of society, never delving into the truly pressing woes of REAL people, yet I love her because there's still something charming and witty about her stories as she subtly pokes fun of the traditions of the time. Though I'm not sure I like it as much as 2005's Pride and Prejudice, Ang Lee's adaptation does succeed on a number of levels, first and foremost in its casting. Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, and everyone else could not have been more perfectly cast. Thompson's screenplay is also a triump, and Ang Lee's direction is strong as well (though Joe Wright's worked better for his Austen adaptation). My only major complaint is that the middle starts to drag a liiiittle bit, but otherwise, it's a success.

Grade: A-

Nominations for 1995: Best Picture(#4), Best Director - Ang Lee(#3), Best Actress - Emma Thompson(#3), Best Supporting Actress - Kate Winslet(#2), Best Adapted Screenplay(#2), Best Cinematography(#1WINNER), Best Costume Design(#1 WINNER), Best Art Direction(#1 WINNER), Best Original Score - Patrick Doyle(#1 WINNER)

No comments: