Sunday, December 16, 2007

I'm Not There - REVIEW


you expect some movies to blow you away because of their critical acclaim. Others surprise you because they haven't had the most glowing reviews, but they stun you anyway. And then there are those that have critical acclaim, but that you aren't too sure about...and they completely floor you. I'm Not There is that type of movie. A bizarre kaleidoscope of a film, Todd Haynes unique biopic (never thought those words would ever find themselves back to back, now did you?) of Bob Dylan is a knockout. It isn't always clear, but for those who can pay attention (and you'll need to) the film moves along from one segment to the next, and back again. It lives up to it's trailer's promise: He [Dylan] is everyone. He is no one. He is everywhere. He is nowhere. Each of the six actors who portray Dylan examine a different phase of his life, and find some way to communicate it along with Todd Haynes all-over-the-place script (which mostly places the "singing" in the background just like "La Vie En Rose") that actually manages to succeed. Some are more literal (Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Ben Whishaw), and others are more abstract, notable Heath Ledger, who plays an actor who once portrayed Bale's interpretation of Dylan, but who also symbolizes some other aspects of Dylan as well. Scratching your head a little? You won't be alone. But the film does capture his essence/s and piece them all together in fragments. Oh, and perhaps I should mention that I've only heard two Bob Dylan songs before and I know next to nothing about his life. Now in some bizarre way, I feel that I know the many faces of Bob Dylan and his music. As I was watching I thought "wow, that's just the way he sounds/acts!" How has Todd Haynes done this? How has he made me, a Dylan-blank slate understand him all the while exploring him in a unique way? I have no idea, but I am eternally grateful.

Grade: A

Current Nominations: Best Picture (#3), Best Director - Todd Haynes(#3), Best Supporting Actor - Christian Bale (#3), Best Supporting Actress - Cate Blanchett (#1 WINNER), Best Original Screenplay (#1 WINNER), Best Editing (#2),

No comments: