Saturday, July 31, 2010

Thank you for making that worth the wait


After a week of missed chances and failed DVR-ing, I was finally able to catch up with the season premiere of AMC's Mad Men, and it only reinforced my opinion that this is the best drama on TV. In short, what made the season 4 premiere so strong were the elements that make up the best of Mad Men's episodes: strong, more dialogue-heavy writing, more energetic pacing that still allows for drama, and plenty of sharp, funny exchanges between characters. As many of the critics have said, the changes that have occurred story-wise, which I won't spoil for non-viewers, have given the show a new vitality, after season 3 had a few too many slow-burning episodes that were far too slow. As usual, the fantastic production values were as good as they've ever been (and enhanced by the show's continued decision to shoot on 35mm film. I know these haven't exactly been deep, insightful thoughts, but I just wanted to write a brief little post about how glad I am that the show is back, and off to a great start. Here's hoping that the remaining 12 episodes of season 4 continue in the footsteps of the season opener.

No comments: