BEST DIRECTOR: DANNY BOYLE, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.
BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE: SEAN PENN, MILK
BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE: ANNE HATHAWAY, RACHEL GETTING MARRIED
BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: HEATH LEDGER, THE DARK KNIGHT
BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: VIOLA DAVIS, DOUBT
BEST ENSEMBLE CAST: DOUBT
BEST SCREENPLAY: SIMON BEAUFOY, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
BEST ANIMATED FILM: WALL-E
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: CLAUDIO MIRANDA, THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: MAN ON WIRE
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: MONGOL
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: MIRACLE AT ST. ANNA BY TERENCE BLANCHARD
BEST ORIGINAL SONG: DOWN TO EARTH FROM WALL-E
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMA: ANDREA GROVER AND THE AURORA PICTURE SHOW
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM PROGRAMMING: MARIAN LUNTZ AND THE MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS HOUSTON’S FILM DEPARTMENT
Who got a boost?:
- Viola Davis for Best Supporting Actress. This is becoming a close race between Davis, Cruz, and Tomei.
- Anne Hathaway for Best Actress. Now clearly in second place in terms of critics awards (behind Hawkins).
- Benjamin Button for Best Picture.
- Danny Boyle for Best Director. Even when Slumdog lost out on Picture, he still won the directing award, which shows that people obviously think his direction is pretty special, and not just a "well it's the best film of the year, so that means we also award the director, right?" award.
- Sean Penn. Light years ahead of all of his competition, even Rourke.
- Revolutionary Road.
- The Reader.