Friday, February 22, 2008

A "Blood"-y mystery.....

I understand that movies undergo script changes even as they're filming, but sometimes you just have to wonder why something was changed. Now, way back when in the days when we were all foolishly predicting "Reservation Road" and "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" for Best Picture, I saw a picture of Daniel Day-Lewis from his "upcoming oil drama, There Will Be Blood". I remember seeing the picture and thinking "this is going to be a shoo-in for the best makeup Oscar". Time passed, and I forgot about the film, until the trailer re-emerged with Day-Lewis looking as he does in the film: Thick mustache and short, inky black hair. Now, another handful of months later, I was looking for pictures of Day-Lewis to use for this blog, and while searching on Google Images, I saw (on the very first page of results) pictures of the Day-Lewis seen in the trailer, and the original version, which I saw nearly a YEAR ago. My reaction? A dumbfounded double take. What on earth happened to this version of Daniel Plainview? Was this a fake or a mistake on behalf of the magazine that first published it, or did Paul Thomas Anderson decide to completely revamp Plainview's look?

No comments: