Friday, April 2, 2010

Three Colors: Marion

The Lady from Shanghai

A while ago Marion Cotillard, the new Queen of Awesome, became the newest celebrity headliner for Christian Dior. She took part in a music video for the Annie Liebovitz helmed "Lady Rouge" extended ad, and sang a song written by Franz Ferdinand. Little did I know that this was just the tip of the iceberg. It's a three part ad campaign, with each segment centered on a color. The first was Olivier Dahan's "Lady Noire", a gorgeous six-minute short. Second is the aforementioned "Lady Rouge". Third, and perhaps most intriguing, is the project mentioned in the iceberg link, a blue themed, Shanghai-set 12 minute short directed by the master of weirdness, David Lynch. The reason this excites me so much is that it reminds of my favorite overly-theatrical celebrity commerical ever. I really hope Lynch's involvement is just the start of their collaboration. The thought of Lynch working his weirdness on someone so beautiful and dramatically compelling as Cotillard gives me chills. Perhaps he can come up with something akin to Mulholland Dr., but with Cotillard as the heart and soul of the project? We know that the woman can carry a movie, so it's really just a matter of the two having enough actor-director chemistry to pull it off. I know I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: