Monday, March 8, 2010

The (Delayed) 3rd Annual Texan Awards

I'm really ready to get this out of the way, but there are a few things I want to say first, just to clarify. First, I think 2009 is actually one of the stronger years of the past decade. The more I think about the films, the more glad I am that this is the year the Academy expanded its line up to 10 (one of the few categories where I'll totally follow their rules). Second, due to time constraints and a busier than expected week last week, I was only able to put some of the categories in video format. Even though some were made into videos, they kept uploading to youtube only as a black screen with audio, which sucks, because the long format Best Picture presentation I made turned out really well, and I really wanted to make videos for the acting categories. Oh well, better luck next year. Third, I didn't get to see A Prophet, meaning I only saw 2 foreign language films (that I thought were worthy) from 09, meaning that the category isn't complete, hence the asterisk by the winner's title. Last, I made one error in the videos, and it's this: The Hurt Locker was supposed to be in the cinematography lineup instead of Broken Embraces, although those two films were fighting it out for the fifth slot, so it's not too big of a deal.

*If you need a refresher of my nominees, click HERE
**I am fully aware that the Song/Score video is screwed up in the second half.

The 3rd Annual Texan Awards
2009


Best Tagline
"Once upon a time in Nazi-Occupied France..." - Inglourious Basterds


Best Poster
Broken Embraces

Best Trailer



Most Unfairly Overlooked
Moon


Breakthrough Actor - Male
Sharlto Copely - District 9


Breakthrough Actor - Female
Carey Mulligan - An Education


Breakthrough Writer or Director
Tom Ford - A Single Man


Best Acting Duo
Gabourey Sidibe and Mo'Nique - Precious


Performer of the Year
Marion Cotillard - Nine and Public Enemies


Best Sound Mixing
Avatar


Best Sound Editing
The Hurt Locker


Best Visual Effects and Best Make Up



Best Original Song and Original Score




Best Animated Film
UP


Best Foreign Language Film

A Prophet (France)


Best Costume Design, Art Direction, and Cinematography



Best Editing
The Hurt Locker


Best Ensemble Cast
In the Loop: Mimi Kennedy, Tom Hollander, James Gandolfini, [not pictured]: Peter Capaldi, Gina McKee, Anna Chlumsky, David Rasche, Chris Addison, Enzo Cilenti, Zach Woods, Paul Higgins, and Steve Coogan

Best Adapted Screenplay
In the Loop - Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Tony Roche, & Armando Iannucci


Best Original Screenplay
A Serious Man - Joel and Ethan Coen


Best Supporting Actress
Mo'Nique - Precious


Best Supporting Actor
Peter Capaldi - In the Loop


Best DirectorKathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker


Best Actress
Tilda Swinton - Julia


Best Actor
Colin Firth - A Single Man


Best Picture




And that's all! See you next year!


2 comments:

Andrew K. said...

Nice to see the Bright Star love. Whishaw won my actor category, was he anywhere close for yours?

jbaker475 said...

Top 10, but pretty far down :(