Monday, June 28, 2010

This Week on TV


Remember this series? Yeah, I barely do either. I think the last one I wrote was either in late 07 or early 08, shortly after this blog was created. Anyway, since I'm keeping up with more TV shows than ever before, I figured that right now, while things are relatively low key and most shows are on summer hiatus between seasons, I'd get back to tackling my favorites week by week, episode by episode, if only briefly.

True Blood, Season 3, Episode 3: The only off shoot of the recent vampire craze that I've actually bought into has been HBO's True Blood, and for two big reasons: the story lines are addictive and it plays up the camp aspect of the vampire mythos. With only ten more episodes remaining, I'll confess that I'm worried that the show is taking so long to unfold because they don't have much to work with. By the third episode of season 2, while there was still plenty of mystery, you already had a clear idea of several main plots, and where the focus was going. I'm hoping that something BIG erupts due to the conflict between vampire king Russel Eddington (Denis O'Hare) and vampire queen Sophie-Anne (Evan Rachel Wood), who has been doing some illegal selling of V (vampire blood). In season 3, Sookie's (Anna Paquin) supposed werewolf love interest, Alcide, has only just been introduced, and the two haven't really done much in their search for Bill (Stephen Moyer). That said, I'm loving the (brief) scenes with the sexually voracious Pam (Kristin Bauer), who's always good for a healthy dose of irony. I'm also liking the new dynamic with Sam's (Sam Trammell) biological family, although I hope they don't drag out the bickering blood-ties angle into tediousness. Sam is one of my favorite characters and I'd hate to see a sub-plot totally focused on him out stay its welcome. Oh yeah, and the ending of this episode...WHAT. THE. HELL. DO. NOT. WANT.

Grade: B

Entourage, Season 7, Episode 1: In its seventh season, Entourage is finally starting to show signs of aging. When Vince (Adrien Grenier) is asked to do a dangerous stunt himself on the set of his latest film (so wait, we're just glossing over the Enzo Ferrari movie that season 6 led up to? OK...), the typical ensues, but without much drama. And speaking of drama, are the writers ever going to give Johnny Chase (Kevin Dillon) a break that lasts? Enough already. The final subplot, involving Turtle's (Jerry Ferrara) new business (hello, where did that come from?) was a boring one, mostly thanks to the fact that it came out of nowhere and the drama regarding one of Turtle's employees thereby carried no weight. Here's hoping that season 7 can pick up the pace in the coming weeks, because I'd hate for the show to close out (it will most likely end next season) flailing around like this.

Grade: B-/C+

No comments: