Tuesday, April 29, 2008

American Idol 7: The Top 5, Neil Diamond Week


Trying something a little different, the producers had the contestants all sing their first song (they got to go twice tonight) without interruption before the judges made comments. Unfortunately, Paula, always a reliable source for an awkward moment or two, gave David Cook (or was it Jason?) two reviews, before Simon interrupted and told her that each contestant had only sung once thus far. The moment was slightly funny, slightly awkward (ok...incredibly awkward), and really weird. Actually, that kind of sums up the whole night.

Round One:

EVERYONE: C+/C After round one was over, I realized that none of the performances had gotten any reaction, good or bad, out of me. Had they all been hit with tranquilizers, or had they simply spent too much time with Paula(I've heard idiocy is highly contagious)? No one did much to make me pay attention; no superstars, and no train wrecks. Jason was....the usual, David Cook gave probably the "best" performance, Brooke looked uncomfortable, David Archuleta was B-L-A-N-D, and Syesha was....herself. I think that's all I need to say. Honestly, after the first round I was ready to have my eardrums bombarded with Carly's vocal gymnastics again.......

Round Two:

Jason Castro: *snnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooore*. But seriously, this was Jason at his most boring and predictable. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't anything memorable....it wasn't really much of anything. As Paula said (oh god...I'm quoting Paula....shoot me now), Jason needs to step outside his comfort zone. Grade: C

David Cook: FINALLY. After six blah performances, the grunge rocker finally woke the audience from it's coma. It wasn't great, but it was very good, and it actually HELD MY ATTENTION (in a good way)! Grade: B

Brooke White: much better, although I still think she shouldn't play instruments when she sings. She should put all her energy into singing. But still, I liked it enough to give her a pass. However, I have to take issue with the small lyrical "plot hole" in her song. Following Neil Diamong's suggestion that she change "my home is New York" to "Arizona" (Brooke's home state), it contrasted with a later line of lyrics: "between LA and my hom; caught between two coasts). ummmmmmmmmm......... Grade: B

David Archuleta: yawn. I can't believe he pulled a Kristy and brought out the big American flag in the background. That's all that needs to be said. However, I'm actually annoyed more at Randy, who called both of David's performances "DA BOMB!" Maybe all those recordings with Mariah Carey have made Randy go deaf..... Grade: C

Syesha: I refuse to write more than this sentence. Grade: C

Prediction:

Bottom Two: Syesha and Brooke
Going Home: Brooke

Oh, and I felt the need to add THIS:

No comments: