Sunday, August 23, 2009

A word about rating movies...



It's probably no surprise to anyone that, given enough distance, or just a few rewatches, your opinion of a film can change, whether just a tad, or drastically. It's also not a surprise that sometimes we can get caught up in how we want to like a movie before its release, and therefore find more excuses, and give it a higher rating than it deserves, even if we still like it a lot. Case in point, "Australia", a film which received mixed reviews but which I still liked. Now, having plenty of distance and having seen the film three times, I feel slightly embarrassed for giving it an "A" rating last November. Not to say that one should be afraid of liking films that received mixed or even negative reviews (I still find "Birth" fascinating, and that film has a rottentomatoes score down in the 30s), but it's important that we be honest with ourselves. I know that one of my biggest problems when it comes to finally assigned a movie a grade, it that if I liked but didn't love a movie, my go to grade is almost always "B+", when I probably should have gone with a "B" or "B-". Even worse, there have been times when, out of wanting to like a movie that deep down I really didn't care for, I still gave an extremely positive review and rating (Atonement, Happy Go Lucky, Benjamin Button, and Milk, from the past two years). So, while I won't bother going back over years past, here are my revised ratings for the films I've seen so far this year, in order:

1. Taken C+
2. Coraline C-
3. The International C+
4. Watchmen B
5. Two Lovers B-
6. Duplicity B
7. Sunshine Cleaning B
8. I Love You, Man B
9. Adventureland B/B+
10. State of Play B
11. The Great Buck Howard B-
12. Angels and Demons C+
13. Wolverine C+
14. Star Trek B+/A-
15. Up B
16. The Hangover B/B-
17. Easy Virtue C+
18. Away We Go B/B-
19. The Brothers Bloom C+
20. Summer Hours C
21. The Taking of Pelham 123 C
22. Franklyn B-
23. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen C-
24. Public Enemies B
25. Bruno B-
26. Cheri B-
27. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince B+/A-
28. The Hurt Locker A-
29. (500) Days of Summer B+
30. Moon B
31. G.I. Joe C
32. District 9 B+
33. In the Loop A-

No comments: